How to get rid of a headache?
Medicine defines migraine as a neurological disease, the main symptom of which are regular bouts of headache. At the same time, a headache is often so unbearable that people are ready to “climb walls”. The causes of attacks can be varied, but people who suffer from migraines are more interested in how to get rid of a headache. Everything becomes easier thanks to the freedom to access information on the Internet.
Popular methods of dealing with migraine
The fight against migraine is divided into three categories:
- Conventional treatment;
- Abortive treatment.
Consider in detail all the techniques.
- Conventional treatment. It involves a complex treatment, including drug and non-drug prevention. Such treatment should be carried out under the supervision of a qualified specialist, who will help identify the factors that provoke attacks of headaches and the nature of the disease. Treatment rarely completely prevents attacks, but reduces their intensity and alleviates the symptoms.The following medications are usually taken during treatment:
- analgesics (paracetamol, aspirin);
- antidepressants (amitriptyline);
- anticonvulsants (valproic acid);
- serotonin agonists (sumatriptan);
- also used drugs of natural origin. A popular remedy that almost halves the number of seizures is butterbur extract. Also, large doses of vitamin B2 reduce the likelihood of nervous disorders, which often cause headaches.
- Prevention. Prevention consists in identifying the factors that provoke headache attacks and in their subsequent prevention. The main methods of reducing the number of attacks are:
- observance of sleep (sleep, as well as lack of sleep, is a stress factor);
- avoid mental and physical fatigue;
- avoidance of stressful situations and worries;
- stopping drug use (including alcohol, nicotine and caffeine).
- Abortive treatment. Relief of attacks is a struggle not with causes, but with consequences. A migraine patient usually begins to think about how to get rid of a headache then,when an attack begins and the pain does not go away on its own. The way to alleviate the suffering is usually found by the patients themselves by trial. If you have a headache, this is what you should try to relieve the pain. To begin with, provide the body with complete peace. Eliminate all irritants, noise, bright light. Massage the neck and head at the base of the skull, it will help normalize blood circulation. Try Chinese massage - acupressure. Traditional Chinese medicine has long established itself throughout the world, and a good acupressure can be very effective in your case. Grate the whiskey with a menthol pencil or "star". Lie down, try to relax. Put a hot or cold water bottle under your neck (try different options). If the head continues to hurt - take a bath, hot or cool - pick up your version. Add aromatic oil to the water to help you relax. If you do not want to take a bath, try to just wet your head with hot or cold water, and then pull the head tight with a towel. If the head continues to crack and neither rest nor massage,neither water procedures with aromatherapy do not save - you can take painkillers (analgesic or paracetamol), but it is better to refrain from frequent medication, because they only relieve pain first, but with the long-term use they have the opposite effect, causing a "drug migraine." If the pain does not go away within a day - call the doctor, especially if the attack is accompanied by fever and other abnormal symptoms.
In 2009, scientists from the University Hospitals Case Medical Center (Cleveland, USA) published the result of a decade of research, which stated that the cause of migraines can be trigeminal nerve irritation caused by muscle spasm around it, and injection of Botox and removal of the corresponding muscles weakens or completely eliminates headaches in patients. During the following year, 57% of migraine patients who underwent such an operation completely got rid of headaches, and 83% noted a significant decrease in the intensity of attacks.