How to install icons?
In the Windows operating system, each item on the desktop has its own icon. How to install icons, tell our article.
If you want to change the standard view of folders and files, you can do this at any time using custom icons. Make it easy with a few simple manipulations.
- You need to download a collection of icons from the Internet or create them yourself. The main thing in this case is to make sure that the downloaded or made icons, for which you will change the standard icons, have the .ico extension. In the case when the images have the .png format, you need to use special programs that are designed to convert from one format to another. You also need to remember the directory (folder) in which you saved these icons;
- Before you learn how to install icons for Windows, you need to remember that most of the desktop icons are shortcuts to programs.In order to set an icon for a shortcut, move the mouse cursor to the file or folder whose icon you want to change. Then, click on the selected item with the right mouse button and select the item named “Properties” in the menu. Next you need to go to the tab "Shortcut" and click on the button labeled "Change icon", which is located at the bottom of this window.
- In the window called “Change Icon”, you must click on the “Browse” button and specify the path to the desired icon. When you select an icon, you will immediately see its reduced size (thumbnail). Then you just need to press the “Ok” button in order to confirm your choice. In the main window "Properties (file or folder name)" you need to click "Apply" and close this window.
Icons for folders
To install a new icon for a folder that is located on the Desktop, you need to call the “Properties” of this folder in the same way as in step # 2. Since this is not a shortcut, there will not be a tab called “Shortcut”. Now you need to go to the "Settings", which are in the section called "Folder Icons", which, in turn, is located below the window. Next, you need to click on the "Change Icon".In the new window, select the desired icon from the thumbnails offered to you, or specify the path to your own file. It remains only to confirm the choice by clicking "Apply" and close the window.
Icons for other items
The icons for My Documents, My Computer, My Network Places, or Trash can be changed as follows:
- Right-click anywhere on the desktop.
- In the menu, select "Properties".
- In the "Screen Properties" window, go to the tab called "Desktop" and click "Desktop Settings".
- Next, you need to select the item whose icon you want to change, and click the button labeled "Change Icon".
Now you know how to install icons on your desktop!