How to reinstall BIOS from a flash drive?
BIOS is the basic input-output system where the settings are stored. It is sometimes necessary to update the BIOS, because in most cases, updates improve the operation of devices. How to upgrade the system?
Preparing to reinstall
- Preparing BIOS for reinstallation. To do this, reset the settings and save a copy to the USB flash drive. To call the BIOS settings, use the following keys:
- “Esc” key
- F12 key
- simultaneously pressing the “Esc” + “Alt” + “Ctrl” keys.
- Determine the version of BIOS. There are two ways to do this:
- We look at this information (the BIOS version and the address of the site where it can be downloaded) in the instructions for the motherboard;
- press the key combination "Win" + "R", enter "msinfo", and then look at the information that interests us. When the screen loads, this information will appear at the bottom of the screen.
- Go to the manufacturer’s found site and download the new version of BIOS. Attention: it is better not to download the alpha and beta versions of BIOS, since these are trial versions, and we need a complete one.
- We delete all the information from the flash drive, format it, dump the downloaded version of BIOS. The downloaded file will be in the archived format, unzip it. Note: we perform formatting of the flash drive through a special program, the launch of the program is carried out with the help of an administrator.
- After downloading the BIOS version to the USB flash drive, we restart the computer. During the reboot, hold down the "Del" key. This action will lead to the BIOS menu.
- In the menu, select the tool "Tools", go to the section with the word "Flash". Note: if the section with this word does not exist, then the motherboard does not update the BIOS using flash memory. Most often, this action occurs in computers of the old version.
- We select the flash memory in the left column of the presented drives using the Tab button, confirm the action by pressing the Enter key. The computer begins to reinstall the BIOS, this action lasts up to one minute.
- Reboot the computer. Note: the system may request an error check, we confirm the action.
BIOS update is complete. On a laptop, you can reinstall the system in the same way.