How to stew vegetables?
Stewing is one of the most common ways of cooking vegetables. It combines simplicity and the ability to solve several culinary problems. After all, stewed vegetables can serve as a side dish, and as a main course, and even as a gravy for a side dish. Ways of cooking stewed vegetables set. They are extinguished separately by type and together, with and without meat, in water and using various fillings, such as broth, sauce, wine and beer. For example, only ways to extinguish potatoes can easily be called a dozen. Therefore, to bring all the recipes in one article is simply impossible. However, having learned the general rules of how to stew vegetables correctly, any housewife will be able to easily use this method of cooking. As an example, consider the recipe for cooking such a classic dish as vegetable stew.
General rules for stewing vegetables
- Vegetables should be thoroughly washed, peeled and cut into equal pieces, in the form of cubes or cubes. At the same time, it is recommended to clean and chop vegetables immediately before cooking, in order to preserve the greatest amount of nutrients and natural flavor.
- The taste of the final dish will be much better if, before stewing vegetables, sprinkle them in their own juice or in water until half cooked. Vegetables are laid out in a saucepan or pan in a single layer and are allowed under the lid. If several types of vegetables are stewed, each type is taken separately.
- In the process of cooking, the boiling point should be constant, the liquid in which the vegetables are stewed, should barely boil. When extinguishing on the stove, it is recommended not to raise the temperature above 82 ° C; when extinguishing in the oven, it should not be higher than 170 ° C.
The most popular and easy cooking dish of stewed vegetables is stew. At the same time, it provides an opportunity for a flight of fancy, because this “vegetable mix” can be prepared from what is in the fridge. Depending on the season, potatoes, cauliflower or white cabbage, turnip, rutabaga, carrots, tomatoes, onions, green beans and ordinary can be used to cook the stew.
- The simplest recipe uses about 500 grams. potatoes, three carrots, 2 turnips or turnips, two onions, 2 tomatoes or tomato paste. Optionally, you can add cabbage and beans.Beans are taken at the rate of one glass per 800 gr. vegetables.
- Before stewing, vegetables are cut into slices or large cubes. Turnips, carrots and turnips can be stewed immediately, cabbage is pre-boiled in water. Potatoes and onions are recommended to first fry in a pan with butter.
- In a separate pan, fry a tablespoon of flour, then dilute with a decoction of vegetables, add chopped tomatoes or tomato paste and boil.
- All vegetables folded in one pot and pour cooked sauce. You can add vegetable broth. Add salt, pepper, a piece of cinnamon, 3-4 pcs. cloves and simmer for 15-20 minutes, covered with a lid.