How to write a story about yourself?
Each of us, going for an interview,prepares for tricky questions and difficult tests. But sometimes an obstacle on the way to cherished employment can be an elementary request of the employer to tell a little about himself. Such a simple, at first glance, task often confuses even experienced and qualified specialists. Let's try to figure out how not to get into a mess, telling about yourself, and even turn this situation in your favor.
Story about yourself: what do you want to hear about?
First of all, preparing in advance for a story aboutyou need to understand that the employer, when asking such a question, does not aim at deep knowledge of your personality, but only wants to make sure to what extent you meet a potential position. Therefore, the story should not be scattered on the facts of your life, which do not concern the professional path.
Here are the main points that need to be revealed in your story:
- Age and marital status;
- Education (university, specialty, form of study, diploma), as well as courses;
- Positive aspects of character that help in the work.
If the employer is interested in your hobby, you need to tell about it with restraint, otherwise the enthusiastic tirade can stir up the idea that work is unlikely to take the first place in your life for you.
It is important to remember that a story about yourself should not beretelling the resume. The employer has already familiarized with it and now wants to learn something new. At the same time, the discrepancy between the data indicated in the summary and the narrative is unacceptable.
Here it is important to betray already known naked factsemotional coloring, for example, to say that entering a university has become a dream of a profession of interest to you, and participation in the project has provided invaluable experience for further professional development.
When offering to tell about yourself, the employer givesthe opportunity to open and show oneself. The competitor at this time leaves the "comfort zone", and such a light stress reveals its hidden qualities as best as possible. You can easily notice the excitement, find out what his thoughts are busy with, understand the true mood.
Simultaneously, this question allows you to take the situation into your own hands, turn the conversation into the right direction (both semantic and emotional) and become the master of the situation.
In any case, for the employer, such a seemingly insignificant element of the interview is the moment of truth, and to be satisfied with the result, it is important to remain calm and confident.
How to avoid mistakes in a story about yourself
Thinking in advance about how to write a story about yourself, it is important not to allow several common mistakes.
- Do not bore the listener with a long story. The story should be brief, clear and concise, and for the duration it is advisable to keep within two minutes. Even if your potential work will require the ability to speak for a long time, this is not the best moment for demonstrating talkativeness.
- You can not lie. No matter how great the temptation to embellish their merits or attribute to themselves strangers, you can not give in to it. After all, any information that concerns the professional sphere can be easily verified. And the very fact of lying can "turn around" to you even after many years and at another job.
- You can not "mud yourself" the previous place of work. In particular, the manual. Even if the employer touches upon the topic of the injustice of the former bosses, there is no need to be led to provocation, it is important to remain impartial and dispense with criticism.
- Avoid those that are considered forbidden etiquette during festive feasts, namely the theme of politics and religion.
- Of course, do not criticize the work of the company, whicharrange. However, avoid blatant flattery. If you follow the question of what attracts you to work in this company, name the specific merits of the firm
- Talking about your advantages, do not be unfounded. Each of its positive qualities you must confirm with a concrete example if necessary.
Do not be afraid to be yourself
Often applicants try to adapt tosome mythical ideal, they think how to make up a story about themselves, corresponding to it. The employer, on the contrary, wants to see the future employee sincere and present. This should not be forgotten, nor is it necessary to remember that all your parties will in any case open during the work. To get a job, you do not need to pretend, just stay yourself.